Sunday, February 21, 2010

Oatmeal - the search

So we thought nothing of missing out on food from NY.
I have heard that food in Japan was awesome and what was Amazon for anyway?

Alex's love for McCaan's Irish Oatmeal saw no end.
He realized he started missing the stuff a few days into our live in Tokyo.

"Alex, I will get your oatmeal tomorrow" went on for weeks.
Alex was starting to suspect I was a liar.
So off I went to the supermarket to get one.

We scouted the cereal isle and found nothing.
Tokyo seemed to be in the midst of a granola fad and there were many nutty granolas.
As Alex is allergic to nuts, we had to avoid those.

We went to another supermarket.
Same thing.

We finally saw the word "oatmeal" at the third supermarket we went to.
Alas it was the horrid instant type.
One look at just the picture must have brought back memories in the Bahamas. He was gone in a flash.
Does it look that different? I would never know.

So I turn to our trusted Amazon.
And I find our trusted Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal.
I buy, and I get stuck.
I failed to see the warning "This item can only be shipped to the 48 contiguous states"

Amazon dot com has a Japanese version that is Amazon dot co dot jp.
I go there and type in "oatmeal".
I see no steel cut.

I start to panic.
How are other people getting hold of steel cuts?

I e-mail some of Alex's classmate's moms.
The are mostly Japanese married to foreigners and have no idea what I am talking about.
The only American mom tells me I can find Quaker Oats at a supermarket in Hiroo.

I go ask on a message board for expat moms in Japan.
I get ignored.

The dire reality is setting in. We cannot eat steel cut oatmeal here?
I google frantically and find absolutely nothing. This cannot be happening. The internet has brought people and products closer than ever. You are supposed to be able to buy anything anywhere.

 I have to inform Alex of the unavoidable truth.
As long as we live here, he will not be able to eat steel cut Irish oatmeal.
Alex is crushed.
He goes to his room to cry quietly, recalling the texture, taste and aroma that has so eluded him.

Nearly a year into our life in Tokyo, I wander past a chi-chi supermarket in a chi-chi area. There I find the golden can. The real deal. I take as many as I could carry and then realize that all I have to do is come back here when I run out. So I buy 1 can and take it home.

Alex and Irish oatmeal are united. He eats it every day that the can is empty within a month.
I go out for another one, but of course, it's sold out. The store does not intent get anymore since procedures for grain import in Japan is a royal pain and the trade company just stopped doing it.

Alex does not understand why I cannot produce another can.
I am not trying hard enough, he claims. I should never give up. Persistence is the key. Keep trying.
Ugh, the things you tell your kids that come back to haunt you.

I am still trying.

No comments: